Friday 23 May 2014

Month of Socks....FO





Hello there, I hope everyone has had a great week!!!!! I'm back to show you my finished Jesse Socks, completed for the Month of Socks hosted by the Must Stash girls, through May. Molly from the A Homespun House is also hosting a sock knit a long. Both of these have great video podcasts, I would recommend you check them out, I've linked to the websites or find them on iTunes, Must Stash Podcast and A Homespun House



I really like how they've turned out, the pattern is the Jesse Socks by Rachel Coopey which can be found in A Knitted Sock Soiciety, if you love to knit socks, you will love this book. The photography is gorgeous, the focus is on the socks and shows very clear pictures of the sock and stitch pattern. The book has ten sock patterns using Rowan Fine Art which is one of my favorite sock yarns, it is so soft and washes really well. It's a hand-painted sock yarn with a mix of merino, kid mohair (no fuzzy halo, though), mulberry silk and polyamide for strength, to say it has such luxurious yarn content, it's a really hard wearing yarn. I knit my Lacy Rib Socks in the Fine Art, back in June, last year and they are still going strong with no wear and tear at all!



These were my first cuff down socks using DPNs and also my first stranded colourwork socks, I was worried about the tightness of my colourwork so I used a 2.5mm for the top of the sock and changed to my regular 2.25mm needle for the foot. This worked really well and fit perfectly, I really like the way the heel fits on me too, I think I might be converted to cuff down socks now, just for the heel flap.
I used the same colours that she used in the pattern, I usually like to chose something different to the pattern but I loved the Waxwing and Serin together. Serin, the orange one, is also my favourite colour in the range. Fine Art comes in 100g skeins so I have enough yarn left over to knit another pair of these in the opposite colourway or I might knit the Magnus Socks from the book which also uses two different colours.
The book is worth every penny as I would knit all the patterns in there, they work out at £1 per pattern, bargain!!!!! Don't be put off that they are cuff down, I've only ever knit toe up socks and found the cuff down just as easy, maybe a little bit easier and quicker. The hardest part, which isn't really that hard, is the Kitchener stitch to join the toes but there are some great tutorials on the web. This is one of my favourites from Purl Bee. I would practice first an a couple of swatches, once you've done it a few times, it's easy to remember. If you really don't want to try cuff down, I'm sure you could convert them to toe up, I've done that with other patterns before.
Thank you for taking the time to stop by, I appreciate it and to those who leave me such lovely comments. Have a great weekend.
xxxxDebxxxx

15 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Soooooo beautiful! LOVING those colors!!!!!

Unknown said...

love the colourwork!

Amy at love made my home said...

They are beautiful socks! They look fiendishly difficult to me, but I have no idea! Hope that you love wearing them and knitting some more from your book, it sounds great. xx

Una said...

I love the colours in your socks....very wearable.

Unknown said...

Love the colorwork and color choices!!! Stunning.

Unknown said...

I'm so enjoying all your sock posts, the different patterns and colours...such a joy to see what you make next! Chrissie x

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These are beautiful! Congrats on this finish :)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

These are beautiful! Congrats on this finish :)

Unknown said...

Fabulous socks, love the colours! Well done Deb, Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Ros Crawford said...

If your weather is like our weather you are definitely going to need those lovely socks!!

Unknown said...

Hi Deb I love your socks, they are just fabulous as is all your work. I am sorry that I have not been across as regularly lately but hopefully work will calm down a little now and I can visit you every post. Have a fabulous weekend Deb. Big hugs, Dorothyxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lynnda said...

So pretty Deb !!! I am loving the colors! Hugs...x

Stefanie said...

This is an extraordinary pair. The contrast is wonderful.

Unknown said...

Your Socks look amazing. I LOVE the color of them.. Well done my friend.

Hugs~

justpootling said...

Gorgeous socks and so beautifully made,
Kate x

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...