Monday 4 August 2014

Creative Blog Hop

I'm back today with something a little bit different, I was tagged by the very lovely Sarah from Crafts from the Cwtch to take part in a blog hop going around at the moment. I know a few of my "bloggy" friends have taken part already and it's great to see all these different creative blogs from around the world.

So here goes.......

1: What am I working on?

As you all probably know, I've always got lots of things on the go at any one time. I always have a shawl on my needles, at the moment I'm knitting the Pebble Beach Shawlette by Helen Stewart.

This is the second one I've knit and just love this simple lace shawl pattern, this one is extra special though. I got to cast this one on with a group of wonderful ladies at Brighton Unwind including Helen who designed this beautiful shawl.

Here's my "crate of socks" that I've knit over the last year and the pair I'm knitting right now are Calla by Rachel Coopey. I saw this pattern in my favourite knitting magazine, Pom Pom Quarterly Issue 4.

Apart from shawls and socks, I also always have a baby knit on my needles as I'm going to be a Nana in about 9 weeks time. The latest one is Mini Cable Sweater by Rocket London.

The pile of baby knits are slowly growing, there are so many more patterns I would love to knit for him and the list keeps growing.

2: How does my work differ from others of it genre?

I don't think my work really differs from others, I have quite an eclectic taste and I like what I like from very modern to vintage. I love looking through books and magazines for inspiration and also social media such as Pinterest and Instagram. Instagram is my favourite though there are so many creative, inspirational people on there and I got to meet a few of them at Unwind Brighton including Sarah, who tagged me for this post. Ravelry is another great source for knitters and I always like to check out new patterns, my queue just keeps getting longer. I do sometimes slightly modify the pattern such as on the Pebble Beach I'm adding some beads or I might chose a different type of collar for a cardigan, just small changes.

I love collecting vintage patterns and enjoy rummaging through little vintage shops and charity shops, I've found quite a few now. I cast on one of the patterns a little 1950's matinee jacket, I've found it's always worth asking if you can't see them as before now they've been hidden in drawers or in the stockroom.

3. Why do I write/create what I do?

I started writing my blog when I was a papercrafter in 2010, it was a friend who encouraged me to start writing one, where have those years gone???? I really didn't think anybody would be interested in reading my blog but as they say the rest is history!!!!

My blog has changed quite a lot over the years and has gone from papercrafting to a bit of everything and is predominantly knitting now and the odd family adventure. I originally started my blog as an online diary for myself, so I could look back at projects I'd made or look back at what I'd been up too.

As the years went on and more people started reading my blog as well as writing it for myself, I hoped I was inspiring and giving ideas to other people too. I enjoy visiting other blogs and I know I get lots of inspiration from them.

4: How does my writing/creating process work?

My big obsession, apart from knitting, is Instagram!!!! I love taking photos and even before Instagram I was always snapping away. All the photos I take now I upload to IG, whether it's day to day life or my crafty creations.

Here are a few of my latest posts on there, I know a few people have decided not to blog as often now and Instagram more as it's a lot easier and quicker. I would never replace my blog with IG but I think it goes hand in hand with blogging as you already have your photos ready, it's just a matter of putting some words to the photos. As you can see, I think most of these photos you've seen on my blog. I look back at the photos I've uploaded over the week, grab a notebook and make a few notes ready to blog about them.

Another hobby of mine is photography, not the technical side of it but the styling. When I'm ready to take a photo of my latest knitting project, I look around my craft room to see if I've got a matching photo prop, well there're actually all my little knick knacks I've collected over the years. I take all my photos on my iPhone 5, its a great little camera, just point and shoot. If I need to edit it I also use my phone, using the Jazz app, it's simple and has everything I need on there.

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading a bit about my creative process, all that's left to do now is tag another couple of creative bloggers. Here are two of my favourite, Helen of Curious Handmade, a talented designer, podcaster and blogger, her patterns are very much my style so you will see lots of her designs on my blog. Also Kepanie from Knitspiring Odyssey, a wonderful blogger who has a beautiful styled blog, she is a prolific beanie/hat knitter, you will see lots of yummy recipes and food photos and great recommendations for books.

Have a great week.

xxxxDebxxxx

9 comments:

Stefanie said...

Mahalo for taking me, Deb. After reading your post, maybe you can share you thinking process when you style your shots for a post? I'd be interested in that. Sometimes I feel in a rut when having to do that for a WIP.

Lynnda said...

Interesting post Deb.. It's good to
Know more about you... Thanks for sharing! Hugs x

Ros Crawford said...

Great post Deb ... Am I the only person in the world who has never used IG??? Must be my age ...

Amy at love made my home said...

It was lovely to read more about you and your work Deb! xx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Loved reading more about you :)

Irene said...

I so enjoyed reading your blog post today and I always love seeing your projects too.

karisma said...

I am amazed that you take all those beautiful shots with your iphone. You are so multi talented. :-) I always love your pictures and of course all your lovely knitting. Im with Ros, I have never used either instagram or PInterest. Despite friends encouraging me to sign up. I much prefer reading blogs over face book or any other social media too. Sad that so many people are no longer blogging. Thank you for keeping yours going. I very much enjoy reading. xoxox

karisma said...

I am amazed that you take all those beautiful shots with your iphone. You are so multi talented. :-) I always love your pictures and of course all your lovely knitting. Im with Ros, I have never used either instagram or PInterest. Despite friends encouraging me to sign up. I much prefer reading blogs over face book or any other social media too. Sad that so many people are no longer blogging. Thank you for keeping yours going. I very much enjoy reading. xoxox

Joy said...

A most enjoyable and informative post Deb, thanks so much for telling us more about yourself and how your creativity progresses. I always love seeing your beautiful makes and am a huge admirer of your knitting prowess:) Joy xo

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...