Wednesday 24 September 2014

Yarn Along....Garter Ear Flap Hats.

Hello my friends, how is everyone doing, having a good week, I hope? I had said to myself I wasn't going to knit anymore baby things for a while and just finish off some projects that have been languishing in the bottom of my basket. Until I saw the Garter Ear Flap Hat, a free pattern from Purl Soho, I then knit two of them!!!!!

The first one I cast on was the baby size for my grandson to be, it is so quick and simple, I started it on Sunday afternoon and finished by the evening. Don't be put off by the short rows, as its garters stitch there are no picking up stitches, it's just wrap & turns.

This was knit in Drops Nepal, a worsted/Aran weight yarn, another reason it knits up so quick. The original pattern has a tassel rather than a pompom but I thought a pompom would look cute. The baby size only uses one 50g ball and at £2.00 a ball from Wool Warehouse, that makes it very economical and great as a baby gift.

My sister had been looking for winter hats for my nephew so I cast on the toddler size for him, whilst enjoying a nice cup of fruit tea ;-)

This size uses about 75g so you will need a couple of balls, again I used Drops Nepal. When you knit garter stitch in the round, you have to knit a row, purl a row to get the garter ridges. I had heard about knitting backwards by wrapping and turning and knitting back on the wrong side, which meant no purling. I'm afraid this wasn't for me, I didn't like the ridge it left, so I frogged it and just knit and purl. I would rather just knit in the round but I preferred the smooth join at the start of the row.

I'm going to knit a couple more, Jodie wanted one in the light green grey colour and I'll also knit my niece one. She is so tiny though she will only need the toddler size. I really enjoyed knitting these and are great for travel knitting or watching tv as you don't have to concentrate too much.

The only other thing I've been actively knitting on this week, apart from a test knit, are the Hermione's Everyday Socks. I'm only a couple of inches away from starting the toe so hopefully will be finished by the weekend.

I'm still reading The Dress Thief by Natalie Meg Evans and I'm really enjoying it, saying that I love any book set in Paris. I would like to share with you a book I picked up at The Works, the recommended price is £20 but I bought it for £4.99. I love it, it's mostly sweaters inspired by the 1930's, 40's and 50's but there are some accessories and want to knit a few of the patterns. It also gives you some history and background with some original photos. I love this era and the fashion and I highly recommend this book, everything is very wearable and all the yarn used is readily available.

I'm linking to Ginny's Yarn Along, Tami's WIP Wednesday and Nicole's Keep Calm, Craft On.

Thank you for stopping by, I really appreciate it and all your lovely comments.

xxxxDebxxxx

 

 

26 comments:

Ali said...

The little hats are just so sweet and I bet really quick to knit up. That sock yarn has got me wanting to go out yarn shopping, the colours are beautiful. Your also tempting me to book shop, the vintage knit book looks fab.
Ali xx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I just loveeeeeeeeee those hats!!!!!

Ruby said...

One of my favorite patterns. I love using some squishy Malabrigo Worsted with it. Yours are darling!

mamasmercantile said...

Those little hats are gorgeous, a real delight.

Una said...

Thanks for the pattern link. I will definitely knit this soon. I remember making something similar for my teenage daughter and the ear flaps made it very cosy.

Donna said...

Such sweet hats! I'm still in love with the yarn in your sock....

harknessangels said...

Adorable hats! Oohhh, I love that Knit Vintage book....must look for it!

Unknown said...

Made one of these last winter and I love the pattern! Yours are adorable.

Jo said...

Perfect baby hats and just right for practising short row shaping. Jo x

Lisa said...

Adorable wee beanies and that sock yarn is to die for! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful knitwear Deb, the hats are really lovely and your socks are coming along really nice, love the rainbow colours! Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Rachel @ The Philosophers Wife said...

What adorable hats! I think I might have to go check out that pattern!

If you'd like, I'd love to have you link up at my Yarn Fanatic Party. http://philwife.blogspot.com/2014/09/yarn-fanatic-party-8.html

Zauberflink said...

Beautiful hats! I've had my eyes on this pattern for a while now... I might have to go yarn shopping tomorrow ;-)
Lena x

Anonymous said...

Such adorable little hats! Thanks for sharing the pattern because I've been on the lookout for a newborn size hat to gift :)

elns said...

Oh thank you for the pattern recommendation! Maybe I can try to make a hat to go with my cousin's baby cardigan. I always have to watch a wrap and turn video before I do a pattern with them. I love your Hermione socks, the yarn and the pattern are wonderful together.

CathieJ said...

All of your knits are great. I really like the look of that book.

Amy at love made my home said...

I love to see what socks you are knitting! Your hats are all so cute, isn't it funny how sometimes even though you have lots of things on the go you see something and you just have to make it! I do that. xx

Nat at Made in Home said...

That pattern is one of my favourite one - I pinned it ages ago but never knitted it. I may to now!

Unknown said...

Such an adorable pattern, I love your choices of yarn and colour!

Caffeine Girl said...

I love the little hats. I need some baby gifts this fall, so I may just check out this pattern.

Joy said...

Oh, those hats! Darling! I'm so tempted. I haven't tried to do one yet.

Lucy Bowen said...

Gorgeous hats and I love Drops Nepal as well. Thank you for the book recommendation, will check out availability on the Kindle!!

Tante Mali said...

These hats are fabulous! They look so cute and I'm sure it's fun and warm wearing them.
Thank you for sharing! I have to put them on my list!
All my best from Austria and a happy happy time
Elisabeth

Lynnda said...

Love those hats Deb!!! hugs...x

Melissa Marie said...

Cute hats! I also love the Beatrix Potter cards!

Stefanie said...

OK. Added that book to my TBR. I love those hats! I need to make at least one for my December niece or nephew.

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...