Wednesday 25 January 2017

Down The Crochet Rabbit Hole.....Granny Stripe Blanket.


 

I resisted for a while but I eventually fell down the crochet hole and cast on a scrappy blanket! I have so many leftover sock yarns and mini skeins and wanted to use them. I'd never been tempted by the knitted scrap yarn blankets before and was waiting for the right project, I found it when I met up with Dani at the Curious Handmade Christmas Party. We met at the Patenoster pub in London, which was so much fun  meeting up with everyone, it is very near to the First Dates restaurant, we both love this t.v. show so we took a walk to have a look. Anyway, I digress, Dani had just started a scrappy granny stripe blanket and had bought it with her to work on whilst we had a natter. Oh my, it was stunning and that was the moment I knew what I was going to use all my minis on.

 

I'm calling mine the Cosy Nana Stripe Blanket, as my two gorgeous grandkids are picking the yarn for each stripe and the blanket will be for us to snuggle under. I'm not following the instructions for a traditional granny stripe as I use one colour for each row rather than two rows so each row is a different colour. I made a chain of 300+2, you can make it as big or as small as you want with multiples of 3 chains plus the 2 stitches, this is Attic 24's Granny Stripe tutorial. 


 

I've got all my minis in a basket and I get Caiden and Darcie to pick 5 or 6 balls and put them in my project bag to used for the next few rows. So far I've loved how all the colours have worked together, though the yarn i buy are all very soft colours which tend to work together.

 

This is how far I've got with the blanket and I've got to say this is one of my all time favourite projects. It's such a therapeutic project and not easy to put down as I want to get to the next colour. One thing I am doing is magic knotting the yarn together so I don't have lots of ends to sew in which was another reason I love this project, here's a good tutorial by Jane Richmomd for Magic Knot. 

  

I thought I'd share what I'm reading today for Ginny's Yarn Along, it's The Muse by Jessie Burton. I've been reading a lot of thrillers lately so this is a nice change of pace, it flits from Spain 1930's to London 1960's and is a compelling read. I'm also linking to Nicole's Keep Calm and Craft On.

Thanks for stopping by and happy knitting/crocheting
xxxxDebxxxx

12 comments:

CathieJ said...

I love to crochet blankets that use up my scraps. I may have to try this one sometime in the future. I can see how it could become addicting. Your colors go together beautifully.

Cloudberry said...

It's going to be a beautiful blanket. And I need to check out that book.

Emily said...

Oh, what yummy yarn colors!!! That's going to be beautiful.
I've been wondering about The Muse. I really liked her first book. Let us know how you liked it!

Alina said...

Such a great project for using all these scraps and leftovers! It is going to be so beautiful!

Cheryl said...

I absolutely love your blanket. I love the method of selecting which colour to do next. This blanket is already looking cosy and beautiful. Makes me want to try a striped blanket next. I have the Miniaturist on my pile of books to read.

Lindsay said...

I love the way your blanket is working up! The colors all go so well together, even though they're from random skeins, and it just seems so cozy! I'm hoping to read "The Muse" this year -- I've heard such good things about that one and her previous book.

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

Oh my, your blanket already looks so gorgeous! I have a collection of leftover sock yarns in little balls - I love the way they look in their basket, but maybe they need a new home! Your book sounds interesting; now on my list.

Maryse said...

The mix of colors is awesome!

Jackie said...

I am new to the world of crochet, this looks lovely!
Can you please tell me what size hook you use and what ply the yarn is?

Deb Hickman said...

Hi Jackie, I'm using leftovers and mini skeins of sock yarn using a 3mm hook.

Marie said...

LUV! And how fun to have your colours selected by the children. This is gorgeous. Might need to find myself a hook and some yarn...

Sheila said...

I love this blanket and the colours. As a beginner to crochet and knitting I don’t have a stack of leftovers, so I will need to buy some yarn. Can you recommend a make that is similar to yours please?
Many thanks Sheila

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...